nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Black Nightshade + Love Apples

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Black Nightshade + Love Apples
  • Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 13:53:25 EST

In a message dated 12/2/2004 8:21:29 AM US Eastern Standard Time, jfruth@uslink.net writes:

  Some folks said that a bit of baking soda needed to be added to
neutralize the 'poison' while others insisted the, inadvertently picked,
green berries contained the poison and the baking soda neutralized that.
Well, we never added any baking soda, usually had a few green berries in the
pie and, not only didn't die but, we never got sick either.

This whole subject has been interesting to read. Thanks to all of you.

The above written by Jim reminds me of at one time in parts of the US the tomato was believed to be poisonous and was called the Love Apple.  Young men would give them to young ladies as a sign of their attraction. Never understood why giving a poisonous fruit was a sign of love??? Black widow spider syndrome?

Then one time an Italian who had moved into an area where love apples were believed to be poisonous, to prove they weren't, told the entire community to gather at the court house steps and on a Saturday would eat many and they could watch him die. Well, he did and well he didn't die and tomatoes have been eaten ever since!

Even this is hearsay, but I heard the story on radio years and years ago as a young man.

Jerry

  • Re: [NAFEX] Black Nightshade + Love Apples, Jwlehman, 12/02/2004