nafex - [NAFEX] Kaki in the North.

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Kaki in the North.
  • Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 13:53:28 EST

Hello all,

David Marsh called to tell me he has a Ichi kaki persimmon planted 2 feet from the East wall of his (former) home. It has survived -8 F 20 miles North of Cincinnati, OH.

None of the 250 kaki seedlings planted here (Terre Haute, IN) have ever survived 0 F let alone -8. I had three kaki cultivars grafted (6 grafts) onto two trees about 1 foot away from the South wall of my house that last year were completely killed at -20 and always had serve damage at 0 F.  I've observed that my kaki seedlings don't go dormant until well after my 90 chromosome C virginiana have. Last year I striped off the leaves hoping to harden them off early, but the -20 negated that effort.

Here is my point. Planting on the East side would reduce afternoon plant temperatures and could that be causing his tree to harden off more early making it more winter hardy? I know this only one such report, but.

Hair brained idea! There isn't space on the East side of my house to duplicate David's situation. I'd like to see some of you that live in the Midwest where temps seldom drop below -15 but often to 0 degrees F try planting kaki on the East side of buildings and a few control trees where they receive full afternoon sun. Be sure the understock is 90 C virginiana as 60 C virginiana keep their leaves well after the 90 chromosome. I can supply seed. These trees should harden off early.

Jerry Lehman