nafex - [NAFEX] thanks and holiday wish list

  • From: Deb Schneider <debs@yahoo.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] thanks and holiday wish list
  • Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 03:24:25 -0800 (PST)

Thanks to all who've responded to my questions about becoming a fruit explorer and indoor citrus!  I am getting so inspired :)

My wish list this holiday season is really short...I've asked everyone who's asked for a gift certificate to Raintree Nursery!  Besides my new interest in indoor citrus and adding to my little orchard, we want to plant a hedge along one property line (where a neighbor plopped an ugly trailer...right on the line).  We want to experiment with hedging that can be used to contain livestock, provide treats for us and for wildlife.  We are looking at interspersing fruit, nuts, and thorns.  Probably filbert, maybe some brambles, elderberry, juneberry, osage orange. (Don't worry, the livestock will not have access to the hedge...it will just be a visual barrier for them.)  I've got a couple of books on hedging (it was a common practice for farmers to divide pastures this way in Britain).  Anyone have suggestions for edibles that make thick, tough hedges?

Also, what's on your holiday fruit wish list this year?

deb