nafex - [NAFEX] roots nice and black

  • From: Heron Breen <breen@fedcoseeds.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] roots nice and black
  • Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 09:54:18 -0600

Hi persimmon folks,
Here are the details for the greenwood cuttings rooted of American Persimmon
"Meader". I have more hope for success due to the nice black color of the
roots,
with nice live interior. Aren't their roots the oddest things?
Also, talked with John Meader, son of Elwyn Meader who bred the Meader
Persimmon,
and a plants person in his own right. He told me he took suckers from his
father's tree and that is how he has propagated them. The TLC factor is
important, as he said the root and sucker need to be in a pot for a year or
two
so they establish some roots.
And I got to taste a few fruits: like semi-dried plums with a dash of whiskey.
It sounds like we are cracking the code on this....Can I amalgate all the
emails
sent already into one article talking about Persimmon Propagation for Pomona?
Thanks for everyone's various techniques,
Heron Breen
Maine zone 4

Here's the details: