nafex - [NAFEX] Persimmon Seed Dormancy Anomaly

  • From: "K Q " <kumquat@operamail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Persimmon Seed Dormancy Anomaly
  • Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 08:33:15 -0800

I have noticed that about 1% of the fresh persimmon seeds I have are
sprouting with no stratification. I thought they would need at least 90 days
worth.

Anyone know if this is normal?

Would there be any disadvantage or even advantage to isolating these
individuals for any purpose?

Would these particular seedlings be good for grafting later on?

Perhaps if they were bred together a line of persimmons could be bred whose
seeds would need no stratification at all?
From your mailbox to local or overseas cell phones.