nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Persimmon Seed Dormancy Anomaly

  • From: Lon Rombough <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Persimmon Seed Dormancy Anomaly
  • Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 09:04:00 -0800

The only value I can see in such seedlings is that they *might* produce trees that need less chilling than normal. Useful in the south, but not much value anywhere else.
Otherwise, that premature sprouting shows up in other plants. I've seen apple and grape seeds that did that, too. Most seeds contain substances that inhibit dormancy until the substances are broken down by cold. Such instant sprouting seeds probably either somehow didn't get the substance, or have embryos that are "resistant" to the substance.
-Lon Rombough