nafex - [NAFEX] Apple Core Anomalies

  • From: Jim Fruth <jfruth@uslink.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Apple Core Anomalies
  • Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 09:25:43 -0600

Someone recently wrote about fermenting apple cores and, just yesterday,
I chanced upon a passage in one of my references that may explain the
phenomena. The text suggested that apple core anomalies, which also
includes 'bitter pit' is likely due to a calcium deficiency and the genetics
of the tree determines which type of abnormality occurs. I should add that
calcium deficiencies are often due to a low pH; as pH drops, calcium gets
bound up and becomes unavailable for plant uptake.

Jim Fruth
Pequot Lakes, MN

  • [NAFEX] Apple Core Anomalies, Jim Fruth, 11/14/2004