nafex - [NAFEX] Garner's grafting book/persimmon

  • From: Heron Breen <breen@fedcoseeds.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Garner's grafting book/persimmon
  • Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 21:42:19 -0600

Hi all,
Just throwing out some possibly untried theories for Persimmon propagation. I
was
reading through RJ Garner's Grafter's Handbook, which is a great book, and
some of
the techniques seemed like worth a try, although not mentioned for persimmon.
To establish own-root plants on a home-scale, maybe trying Nurse-grafting,
which is
in-arch grafting a long scion to a already established tree, with 1/3 of the
scion
buried in the ground. Garner says this has been done to root difficult to
root
cultivars or species, with a Ribston Pippin scion in the illustration. The
graft is
basically temporary, although you must disconnect it, and for a year or two,
the
scion is nurished from the other plant, will its heel end forms roots. Never
done,
don't know how it would work, but I am interested in trying it, except I
would have
to get a tree established before trying it. It is hard to describe this
graft, so I
won't try. Maybe buying/borrowing this book, or another one, is a better way
learn it because since I haven't done it, I would only be reciting.
Playing What-If,
Heron Breen
Maine, zone 4