nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Garner's grafting book/persimmon

  • From: Lon Rombough <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>, breen@fedcoseeds.com
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Garner's grafting book/persimmon
  • Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 19:50:12 -0800

A method used at the National Clonal Germplasm Repository to root hazelnuts, which root poorly from cuttings:
Scions are grafted on potted rootstocks in late winter or early spring. A wire tie is put on the scion just above the (healed) graft union. A plastic sleeved is put over the whole thing and filled with baked sawdust. This is kept moist through the growing season. The wire slowly girdles the scion, forcing it to root just about the wire. When the little tree goes dormant in the fall, the sleeve is removed and the scion, now rooted, is cut off and planted. I imagine you could do the same with persimmons and get some own-rooted trees that way.
=Lon Rombough