nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Gravenstein

  • From: Lon Rombough <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Gravenstein
  • Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 17:40:26 -0800

I suppose it depends on where you grow it. Here in the Pacific NW it has been a favorite for decades. I've never had any particular problems with it other than the fact that it's extremely vigorous. On M7 it's a bigger tree than something like Golden Delicious on standard rootstock. It's about the first apple to bloom, but it has a long enough bloom period that it's an extremely rare year that my tree doesn't have at least enough for the family. It gets some mildew, and there will be a speck of scab here and there, but most of the fruit is usually sound without spray.
-Lon Rombough