nafex - RE: Possible SPAM::[NAFEX] Fwd: Midwestern edible perennials?

  • From: "Brungardt, Sam" <Sam.Brungardt@state.mn.us>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: Possible SPAM::[NAFEX] Fwd: Midwestern edible perennials?
  • Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 13:00:05 -0600

I would certainly rank Crandall currant as one of the tougher plants one
can grow, along with other wild fruits (such as wild plum, chokecherry,
juneberry and any of the improved elderberries). Any of the rhubarb
cultivars and Mary Washington (or any other rust-resistant) asparagus
would also be very forgiving of neglect.

Others you might consider are Redlake or Rovada red currant; Pixwell or
Lepaared gooseberry; Nanking cherry; western sand cherry (Prunus
besseyi) hybrids (if you can find them); fireblight-resistant pears,
such as Harrow Delight, Harvest Queen, Maxine or Moonglow; Dolgo
crabapple; Northstar or Meteor pie cherry; Stanley, Mount Royal or Green
Gage European plum; and American-Japanese hybrid plums (such as
Alderman, Superior, Toka); Darrow blackberry; Swenson Red or Mars
Seedless grape; Blackhawk black raspberry; Heritage and Boyne red
raspberry; Royalty purple raspberry; and perhaps some of the black
walnut and hybrid hazelnuts that have demonstrated superior performance
in Iowa. -- Sam Brungardt, St. Paul, Minn. (USDA zone 4b)