nafex - RE: [NAFEX] converted willingly

  • From: Heron Breen <breen@fedcoseeds.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] converted willingly
  • Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 12:17:33 -0500

I do not think any of us, as members of this organization acting voluntarily,
can
call ourselves garden writers writing for a publication. Even those you may be
"garden writers" in other fields or as a career a would feel would have little
claim to their rights beyond their vote on whether or not to create a
compedium.
I would be very suprized if any members exercised obstructionist legal
manuveurs
to protect some very undefined rules as to where copyrights apply to
round-robin
exchanges between members of a non-profit already published in a quarterly
manner. But I agree a legal inquiry is welcome. I think researching this is a
very good idea to confirm or allay concerns.
Peace
Heron

On Thu Oct 28 9:55 , 'Bruce Hansen' <brucedhansen@sbcglobal.net> sent:

>Claude:
>
>You can buy past issues from NAFEX if you are a member and pay a fee. Some
>of my clients are attorneys.
>
>Bruce

Behalf Of Claude Sweet
> [...]
>frequently attempt to suggest that their publications are copy
>protected, but they lack the supporting releases. Thus they lack the
>ability to allow for another organization to even reprint individual
>articles let alone have the entire publication archived on a CD or
>posted on a web site.
>
>Copyrights have nothing to do with being circulated within a specific
>group, even if the person is a member of the group. Written releases for
>given for one time publishing doesn't allow the publisher to convert the
>material one median (printed POMONA articles) to a different media such
>as video, CD, DVD, or internet.
>
>I strongly urge anyone who attempts this project, either with or without
>the sanction of the NAFEX, to have a written opinion from an attorney
>with experience in copyright law as it applies to authors,
>photographers, and illustrators.
>
>As I recall, the NAFEX board has previously encountered copyright
>problems related to publishing its handbook.
>
>Claude Sweet
>
>Heron Breen wrote:
>
>>because no one is paid for their articles, and everyone voluntarily
>contributes,
>>and all the articles are open forum already to members, speaking strictly
>of
>>Pomona, but this also applies for the list-serve, there are no legal
>recourse for
>>not having your comments and letters included. Do not write them if you are
>>concerned. As long as it is sold only within members, there are no
>problems. The
>>board which is the elected representative body of the membership, their
>voted
>>approval for the project clears all legal barriers for a non-member
>database or a
>>broader sale of cds. The legal issues are thankfully not complicated if
>folks
>>proceed within the governing structure of NAFEX. If folks want to make
>private CD
>>databases of Pomona, that is fine, but the sales of such would be most
>likely
>>illegal, and the editing and formatting oversight of the official body of
>NAFEX
>>would reduce its value in the Public Domain. The real challenge is getting
>broad
>>support from the membership and from the board.
>>Heron
>>
>>On Wed Oct 27 11:19 , Claude Sweet hortventures@cox.net> sent:
>>

>>>Bruce,
>>>
>>>I suggest you have all of the authors provide you with written
>>>permission to put their articles on a CD and distribute it. All it
>>>takes is one person to object and you can become involved in litigation
>>>that will be both time consuming and expensive.
>>>
>>>Claude Sweet
>>>San Diego, CA

>to change other email options):
>
>File attachments are NOT stripped by this list

change other email options):