nafex - [NAFEX] here's what I have come up with

  • From: Heron Breen <breen@fedcoseeds.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] here's what I have come up with
  • Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 19:35:31 -0500

To all,
Concerning the compedium/database of back issues, I am talking with a web
designer/indy publisher friend who is very interested in the project. He is
going
to get back to me with what formatt and method of scanning would be best for
fully operational, searchable from any level compedium which could also
double as a
online database. I do not see any of us spending the next year of our lives,
8
hours a day on the project, and I thought that a real mind would fill in our
gaps.
My friend's assertion, a true genius who runs Argos Designs (check out their
website), is that if members volunteer to scan the issues into the corrct
format,
which may be html or who knows at his point, it would be less costly and
effecient
for a point person, which I can volunteer as, and an oversight committee, to
create
the searchable formatt. The truly usable database allows key word searches
within
any level of text, be it year, issue, region, topic, author, zone, fruit,
nut,
disease, graphics etc. A bare bones highly functional search engine on a
disk,
updated yearly. This may be the stepping off point for getting the online
archive
in order too since it is hard to search. I will find out more and welcome
feedback
as well as volunteers for an ad hoc committee to create a balanced proposal
general membership involvement and the board. Costs will be considered. If
any
folks feel they can do this on their own, strictly volunteer, cool with me. I
thought I would explore the option.
Another idea: NAFEX could create for general sale, a series of our own books
called
simply: How To Grow Heirloom Apples. Then one for pears, etc, including ones
on
nuts and fruits like paw paws and cornelian cherries. Full Color, Hard Bound,
Big
size, Picking one hundred heirloom apples, discussing their GROWING
characteristics
in truth and detail, gleaned from the donated knowledge of those of us in
NAFEX.
Also showing four different styles of caring for orchards as a whole:
commercial
and small scale IPM, backyard, organic, and with animals, from a few
different
regions. We would send a flyer around to every member to list what varieties
they
have grown and tasted and which they would think would be included. Then all
of us
would about which ever ones we had experience with. The interesting and
pertinent
info would be edited and create a narrative and factual presentation. We
print
them, maybe through Mother Earth News, or Chelsea Green Publishing, or
independently, and the profits go to our coffers. And in the process we
distill the
true strenght of NAFEX, our combined vast knowledge. I am ready for a new two
year
project. What do you folks think?
In answer to why make money: it is not money we are making, it is making use
of
what we know. To be useful is a great gift. The small financial security the
organization may reap from any scheme will only allow us to maintain the most
diverse library, the best conferences, the involvement with the university
levels
and the common person, and maybe even a wisened voice in the darkenss drawing
folks
to the joy of growing their own food. We may need to hire some fulltime
people to
help run this organization one day. WE may want to endow a scholarship more
folks
studying pomology or fruit exploring in other countries. We may want to buy
every
last acre remaining (not many) of the ancient apple forests in the ex-USSR as
world heritage site. Who knows...But I think we will see many more smiles
than
dollars out of any of these endeavors, and that is what I am here on earth
for.
Heron