nafex - Re: [NAFEX] here's what I have come up with

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>, breen@fedcoseeds.com
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] here's what I have come up with
  • Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 22:25:45 -0400

On Oct 21, 2004, at 8:35 PM, Heron Breen wrote:
. . .Another idea: NAFEX could create for general sale, a series of our own books called
simply: How To Grow Heirloom Apples. Then one for pears, etc, including ones on
nuts and fruits like paw paws and cornelian cherries. Full Color, Hard Bound, Big
size, Picking one hundred heirloom apples, discussing their GROWING characteristics
in truth and detail, gleaned from the donated knowledge of those of us in NAFEX.
Also showing four different styles of caring for orchards as a whole: commercial
and small scale IPM, backyard, organic, and with animals, from a few different
regions. We would send a flyer around to every member to list what varieties they
have grown and tasted and which they would think would be included. Then all of us
would about which ever ones we had experience with. The interesting and pertinent
info would be edited and create a narrative and factual presentation. We print
them, maybe through Mother Earth News, or Chelsea Green Publishing, or
independently, and the profits go to our coffers. And in the process we distill the
true strenght of NAFEX, our combined vast knowledge. I am ready for a new two year project.
. . .

I think that's a terrific idea, whether it makes money or loses money. It would create a lasting and valuable distillation of some of the value of NAFEX. Personally, I'd rather it include a couple of valuable but less grown modern apples, but the exact content would obviously be mostly up to the people doing the heavy lifting. Having never grown an apple tree to fruiting, that couldn't be me. I'd be happy to help with editing or indexing (picking the words to go in the index is an art) or whatever else I might be able to do.

Ginda