nafex - Re: [NAFEX] How to prep trees and bushes for winter

  • From: RW Spalinger <rwspal@earthlink.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] How to prep trees and bushes for winter
  • Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 11:52:58 -0500

On Sep 24, 2004, at 7:30 AM, Martha Barrett / Scott Weber wrote:

Deb,
Two things come to mind for the trees. First, make certain that the deer
can't get to the trees now, or the bucks will be tearing up the bark
polishing their antlers. Second, definately put hardware cloth or
something around to keep the voles from girdling them...

I agree with and emphasize the first point particularly about the deer. The males will destroy an orchard - tree by tree, as they move through scraping their antlers on the trunks and through the branches.

Using some heavy gauge 2"X 4" fencing material, 4 feet high circling the trees, about a foot or so from the trunk will keep them from savaging the trunks. A five foot section of rebar anchoring the fence material to the ground will keep the little fence from being pushed onto the trunk.

Where I am, SE Texas, zone 9, we don't have voles, but we do have a healthy gopher population to deal with. Gophers like to eat tree roots and dig the dirt out from under trees to make their nests.

Randall Spalinger