nafex - [NAFEX] Re:Sudden Oak Death

  • From: Heron Breen <breen@fedcoseeds.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Re:Sudden Oak Death
  • Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 22:27:46 -0500

Hi,
Interestingly enough, after all the hubbub I and others had about this
disease and the Chestnut Blight issue, I was reading a sustainble-
harvest oriented liscensed forester organization newsletter at an
Agroforestry conference and an article inside suggested that most of
the "death" from this disease (SOD) has been timber extractions
justified under "forest health" enviromental assessment plans, which
allow no public review. The article was supporting an idea that this
disease was being used as some sort of justification for cutting oak
acreage in California as either containment or salvage operations. One
wonders what is really going on here...Is there good science to back up
SOD as a severe threat in the forest? I really hope so, because I
understand that containment policies might already or will be extended
to Redwoods that are testing positive, with the same "forest health"
non-review policy, ie no science data needed for public consumption
before logging.
I am definitely not suggesting anyone be careless, I just wonder if
anyone has better info. I did not understand this information in the
article because I was under the understanding that wood harvested from
these diseased areas wasn't supposed to go near unaffected forested
regions ie wood mills and I had read some strict concepts for
containment like equipment cleaning etc. I guess I assumed that were
doing something with the wood, but apparently even ground bark/chips
has tested positive as a spreading variable, so that is supposed to
controlled somehow too. I am going to call some California forester
folks and get their take. I will write inquiry results in a couple
weeks. My hypothesis is nobody really knows the impact of SOD so folks
are acting like it could be devastating, not out of gain. But I guess
that its is okay to pay the bills and possibly help the future of the
forests at the same time....
The reason why this can be an important issue, in my mind, is it seems
this disease affects multiple species, number unknown, and that could
mean our beloved fruiting trees and shrubs.
Thanks for listening,
Heron
On Mon Sep 20 17:01 , list@ginda.us sent:

>I'd just like to remind people east of the rockies to be cautious of
>ordering plants from west of the rockies, especially places where
>sudden oak death may be endemic.
>
>It may be too late to stop it's spread, but I don't want to be the one
>who introduces it to my neighborhood.
>
>Ginda
>
>On Sep 20, 2004, at 3:14 PM, Mark Lee wrote:
>
>> Robert,
>> A number of mail order nurseries carry this plant. I didn't write
down
>> the name of the wholesale nursery, but it was somewhere in Oregon.
If

bounces@lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of rob hamilton
>> Sent: Monday, September 20, 2004 12:02 PM
>> To: North American Fruit Explorers
>> Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Ugni molinae
>>
>> Do the plants have a tag with the grower or wholesale
>> place on it. I would like to give them a try as well.
>>
>> Robert
>>
>> --- Mark Lee markl@nytec.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I have a small 3 inch plant of Ugni molinae, aka
>>> Chilean Guava. This
>>> past weekend I was browsing through a local nursery
>>> and spotted a couple
>>> pots of these plants, both with fruit. I picked one
>>> of the
>>> blueberry-sized berries and got my first taste of
>>> this fruit that is
>>> marginally hardy in Seattle. The flavor reminded me
>>> of alpine
>>> strawberries... pineapple and other fruitiness. It
>>> also reminded of the
>>> classic potluck dish of orange jello and pineapple
>>> chunks. I look
>>> forward to my first harvest in the coming years.
>>> -Mark Lee, Seattle, zone 8a

be used to change other email options):