nafex - [NAFEX] Applecrab rating

  • From: "Ed Forest" <edforest55@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Applecrab rating
  • Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 14:06:41 +0000

I tasted Trailman Crab for the first time this year. According to my readings it was the only applecrab seeming to challenge Centennial for first place as best tasting crab.
Result: I would rate Trailman as almost as good as Chestnut and Kerr which I rate second to Centennial. Here is my one person rating of the following crabs, in order from first to last place (this is only the first crop of Trailman and I only tasted one apple and the Trailman tree was somewhat crowded and possibly a bit lacking in sun, nevertheless, I thought it might be representative, only subsequent years will tell):

Centennial 10
Chestnut 9
Kerr 9
Trailman 8
Whitney 6

I'm very curious about Callaway which Lucky rates highly. Also, Canada has many applecrabs that I have yet to try, but most are usually rated lower than Chestnut by others.
Kevin B
zone 4/5 Wisconsin