nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Wild fruit (beach plums) provide a tart treat

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Wild fruit (beach plums) provide a tart treat
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 10:21:52 -0500

At 07:59 AM 8/11/2004 -0700, Lon wrote:
I have some grafted on St. Julian, and they do nicely on that, becoming large shrubs, except that the ones I have are in different locations. Since they bloom so much later than regular plums, and aren't self-fertile, mine have never set fruit as the plums nearby are all gone when they bloom.

I was thinking I remembered mine being much later blooming - and later maturing fruit - than the Japanese hybrids(on the rare occasions they manage to keep any fruit, due to normal spring frosts), European types(still waiting for these to bloom, much less fruit), or the thicket of native Chickasaw plums(P.angustifolia) that's spreading from a couple of seedlings/suckers I moved from the cow pasture, for use as rootstocks before I was fully aware of their enormous potential for suckering.
I don't know for sure how they'll do for Mark in the PNW, but they seem to be well-satisfied here in KY.
I checked OIKOS' website - www.oikostreecrops.com, and Ken is still offering seedling selections of P.maritima

Lucky