nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Wild fruit (beach plums) provide a tart treat

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Wild fruit (beach plums) provide a tart treat
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 09:48:11 -0500

At 07:29 AM 8/11/2004 -0700, Mark wrote:
Does anyone in NAFEX grow beach plums in an environment that is not near the beach?

I've got two seedling beach plums that I purchased from Ken Asmus at OIKOS Tree Crops, several years ago.  Planted along the edge of my orchard, close to the European & Japanese hybrid plums, though I don't recall if their bloom periods overlap.  I'm probably 500-600 miles from a beach, discounting the swimming beach I made at the farm pond a hundred feet away from these beach plums.
The two bushes I've got are quite disparate in size - one's about 3 ft tall, the other at least 6 ft.  No problem with brown rot or any other disease/pest(that I've noticed), and they're not (yet) suckering - if that's a trait of the species.  I have a good clay soil, and these are located in a spot with good drainage, but definitely not a beach setting.
They set and matured a good crop of fruit last year - small, but tasty, and many just dried up on the plants after ripening, almost like raisins, without dropping.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Cold Zone 6
AHS Heat Zone 7
Hopkinsville, KY