nafex - Re: [NAFEX] another ID request

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] another ID request
  • Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 16:01:21 -0500

At 04:49 PM 8/4/2004 -0400, you wrote:
A person in the Edible Landscape forum of GardenWeb has posted a photo of a plant that looks like it is in the Elaeagnus family of plants. Here is a link to the photo:
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/edible/msg08130225796.html
He lives in North Carolina and the plant grows along a river. He found it while Fruit Exploring, so it seems OK to ask fellow NAFEXers to help with the ID. The fruit look similar to Autumn Olive but seem more red and bunched together. The leaves also look different from Autumn Olive. Any guesses?

Mark,
I'll defer to Hector or any other experienced Eleagnus affectionados, but it looks to me like Autumn Olive(E.umbellata) - or what my dad calls 'bronze eleagnus' - which I see fairly widely naturalized(or invading, depending on your perspective) throughout the understory of the woods in east-central Alabama, when I get a chance to go home to visit.
The berries have a pleasant, tart flavor, as best I recall, and, I presume, are relished by a wide array of wildlife, having been recommended for planting as a wildlife food source in the not too distant past.

Lucky