nafex - Re: [NAFEX] prunes 'n lamb

  • From: road's end farm <organic101@linkny.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] prunes 'n lamb
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 14:54:41 -0400

From: "del stubbs" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat Jul 24, 2004 08:32:35 AM US/Eastern
To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
Subject: [NAFEX] prunes 'n lamb

A generous nafexer got us in on a lamb butchering one day last winter, Since then we have been enjoying experimenting with recipes and methods, My conclusion? Throw out the mint, and bring on the prunes!
My wife just did a roast in the slow cooker, wow!

My mother used to make what she called "prune stew"; beef pot roast with prunes and citric acid (she bought citric acid sold in the spice section as "sour salt", but I find the best current source is winery supply stores). The combination gives an excellent sweet-sour flavor. I don't remember precise quantities, she just knew how much she used. Maybe I'll go make some, using my best memory of the quantities.

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly