nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Q: coralstar peach

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Q: coralstar peach
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 22:24:32 -0700

Title: Re: [NAFEX] Q: coralstar peach
It isn't that unusual for peach seedlings to bear the second year.  I've seen peach seedlings get to 5 feet tall the first year, and have some fruit the next season.  With the genetic dwarf peaches, the tendency is even more pronounced.  Apricots, on the other hand, can take as much as ten years.  Your mileage may vary.
-Lon Rombough

Does your seedling peach orchard still live in a container?  Are
these in effect bonsai trees?

I am pleased to think that peach trees will bear in only 4 years.  I
have peach and apricot trees coming up wherever I have had a compost
pile - every fall I bottle lots of fruit, and the stones go into the
compost.  A few years ago I started moving them to a row instead of
pulling them out.  Maybe next year they'll produce.