nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Whitney Crab,spiced apples,jogged memory

  • From: "tanis cuff" <tanistanis@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Whitney Crab,spiced apples,jogged memory
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 19:46:34 +0000

Thanks for the reminder. I've been meaning to ask the list if anyone else has ever heard of "billican" apples. I don't know if this is/was a variety name, or a colloquialism for a type of small, thin-skinned, dull colored apple w/ pink shoulder & red striping. (Early ripening and good for sauce/spiced apple butter.) The last time I did an Internet search, I got nothing, but I might not have tried enough spelling variations. The only time I've ever known of this being grown was locally (s.WI) by people of Irish & Scottish backgrounds, but w/ broad interests in horticulture.

I don't know if these would work as spiced apples.

I think I have a spiced apple recipe... somewhere. What's the deadline?