nafex - Re: [NAFEX] thin shelled black walnuts

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] thin shelled black walnuts
  • Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 16:11:20 -0500

At 06:09 PM 7/6/2004 -0700, Lon wrote:
About the best selection of thin shelled black walnuts (trees, that is) can
be found at http://www.nuttrees.net/

In addition to my friend Clifford England, at the URL above, John & Lisa Brittain also offer a good selection of superior quality black walnut cultivars from their Nolin River Nut Tree Nursery - http://www.nolinnursery.com

Check out the info in the Purdue U. article linked below. The table listing nut size & kernel % is pretty good, but doesn't include all the 'good' ones - notable omissions are Thomas Myers and Rowher, which bear large thin-shelled nuts with kernel % in excess of 35%.
Although the linked article lists 'Thomas' as being anthracnose resistant, I don't think that's borne out to be the case in this part of the country.

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/proceedings1990/V1-327.html

Lucky Pittman
USDA Cold Zone 6
AHS Heat Zone 7