nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Alternate Pear rootstocks / others

  • From: "del stubbs" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Alternate Pear rootstocks / others
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 13:22:23 +0000

Yes, and we are nearly the same latitude! This year was a cool spring, so bloom is late by up to a couple of weeks.
I hope to post a full accouting of this years suprising winter survival etc. but here are some of this years prunus bloom dates. No apricot blooms this year.
5/29 first blossoms - p. americana, pipestone, pembina / full bloom - nanking
6/3 peak bloom on alderman, prairie egg, evans, pipestone, compass, green gage
6/15 p. maritima
Frost chance tonight, Del

Del Stubbs http://www.pinewoodforge.com ag zone2/3

&gt;From: &quot;Mark Lee&quot; &lt;markl@nytec.com&gt;
&gt;Reply-To: North American Fruit Explorers &lt;nafex@lists.ibiblio.org&gt;
&gt;To: &quot;'North American Fruit Explorers'&quot; &lt;nafex@lists.ibiblio.org&gt;
&gt;Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Alternate Pear rootstocks / others
&gt;Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 11:25:05 -0700
&gt;
&gt;Del,
&gt;You mention Prunus maritima (beach plum) grafted onto local
&gt;chokecherries and the timing of the bloom in partial shade. Is this
&gt;later or earlier than you expect? Also when do other Prunus species
&gt;(plums and cheeries) normally bloom for you? Mine start in late January
&gt;and end in March. The reason I ask is I am interested in finding
&gt;scionwood/rootstock combinations that delay blooming.
&gt;-Mark Lee, Seattle
&gt;
&gt;-----Original Message-----
&gt;From: nafex-bounces@lists.ibiblio.org
&gt;[mailto:nafex-bounces@lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of del stubbs
&gt;Sent: Thursday, June 17, 2004 5:25 AM
&gt;To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
&gt;Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Alternate Pear rootstocks / others
&gt;
&gt;Last year I root grafted a couple varieties of pear on the Smokey
&gt;variety of
&gt;amelanchier, was delighted and surprised with the growth.
&gt;I do not know how to determine what is the variety of craetagus we have
&gt;locally, but so far my grafts of apple and pear have failed.
&gt;3 years ago I grafed several local chokecherries with p. maritima -
&gt;beach
&gt;plum. Even in the partial shade it has just this week flowered
&gt;profusely,
&gt;and is quite healthier than the mother plant - which is in full sun on
&gt;heavy
&gt;soil. So the buds of p.maritima have gone through minus 40F and come out
&gt;
&gt;happy - I didn't think it would be that hardy.
&gt;Glad to hear of your pear rootstock breeding Dean.
&gt;Del
&gt;
&gt;&amp;gt;From: &amp;quot;Dean Kreutzer&amp;quot; &amp;lt;deankreutzer@hotmail.com&amp;gt;
&gt;&amp;gt;Reply-To: North American Fruit Explorers
&gt;&amp;lt;nafex@lists.ibiblio.org&amp;gt;
&gt;&amp;gt;To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
&gt;&amp;gt;Subject: [NAFEX] Alternate Pear rootstocks
&gt;&amp;gt;Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 10:07:04 -0600
&gt;&amp;gt;
&gt;&amp;gt;Hi Mark,
&gt;&amp;gt;
&gt;&amp;gt;I and others have been experimenting with Amelanchier for pear
&gt;&amp;gt;rootstock. It is very dwarfing and quite precoscious. It isn't
&gt;&amp;gt;perfect however as another grower has found that you should leave a
&gt;&amp;gt;shoot of amelanchier to grow as well as the pear scion as the
&gt;&amp;gt;rootstock just isn't that happy to have a pear on it. My own grafts
&gt;&amp;gt;just sat there for two years before finally showing some vigor this
&gt;&amp;gt;year.
&gt;&amp;gt;
&gt;&amp;gt;I believe it has been used by Dr. Olmo in the Pacific NW as well,
&gt;&amp;gt;with good results however, although I am not sure if the amelanchier
&gt;&amp;gt;was a local species or not.
&gt;&amp;gt;
&gt;&amp;gt;I am doing breeding between my local amelanchier and pyrus
&gt;&amp;gt;ussuriensis to hopefully come up with a rootstock that is more
&gt;&amp;gt;accepting of the pear scion, and still dwarfing. One thing is
&gt;&amp;gt;certain, the rootstock is rock solid hardy.
&gt;&amp;gt;
&gt;&amp;gt;Take care,
&gt;&amp;gt;
&gt;&amp;gt;Dean Kreutzer
&gt;&amp;gt;Regina, Saskatchewan Canada
&gt;&amp;gt;USDA zone 3
&gt;&amp;gt;
&gt;&amp;gt;_________________________________________________________________
&gt;&amp;gt;MSN Premium helps eliminate e-mail viruses. Get 2 months FREE*
&gt;&amp;gt;http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-ca&amp;amp;page=byoa/prem&amp;amp;xAPID=199
&gt;4&amp;amp;DI=1034&amp;amp;SU=http://hotmail.com/enca&amp;amp;HL=Market_MSNIS_Tagline
&gt;s
&gt;&amp;gt;
&gt;&amp;gt;_______________________________________________
&gt;&amp;gt;
&gt;&amp;gt;**YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**
&gt;&amp;gt;All other messages are discarded.
&gt;&amp;gt;No exceptions. ----
&gt;&amp;gt;To subscribe or unsubscribe, go to the bottom of this page (also can
&gt;&amp;gt;be used to change other email options):
&gt;&amp;gt;
&gt;&amp;gt;File attachments are NOT stripped by this list
&gt;&amp;gt;TAKE STEPS TO PROTECT YOURSELF FROM COMPUTER VIRUSES!
&gt;&amp;gt;Please do not send binary files.
&gt;&amp;gt;Use plain text ONLY in emails!
&gt;&amp;gt;
&gt;&amp;gt;Message archives are here:
&gt;&amp;gt;https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/nafex
&gt;&amp;gt;
&gt;&amp;gt;NAFEX web site: http://www.nafex.org/
&gt;
&gt;_________________________________________________________________
&gt;Watch the online reality show Mixed Messages with a friend and enter to
&gt;win
&gt;a trip to NY
&gt;http://www.msnmessenger-download.click-url.com/go/onm00200497ave/direct/
&gt;01/
&gt;
&gt;_______________________________________________
&gt;nafex mailing list
&gt;nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
&gt;
&gt;**YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**
&gt;All other messages are discarded.
&gt;No exceptions.
&gt;----
&gt;To subscribe or unsubscribe, go to the bottom of this page (also can be
&gt;used to change other email options):
&gt;
&gt;File attachments are NOT stripped by this list
&gt;TAKE STEPS TO PROTECT YOURSELF FROM COMPUTER VIRUSES!
&gt;Please do not send binary files.
&gt;Use plain text ONLY in emails!
&gt;
&gt;Message archives are here:
&gt;https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/nafex
&gt;
&gt;NAFEX web site: http://www.nafex.org/
&gt;
&gt;_______________________________________________
&gt;nafex mailing list
&gt;nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
&gt;
&gt;**YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**
&gt;All other messages are discarded.
&gt;No exceptions.
&gt;----
&gt;To subscribe or unsubscribe, go to the bottom of this page (also can be used to change other email options):
&gt;

MSN Toolbar provides one-click access to Hotmail from any Web page – FREE download! http://toolbar.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200413ave/direct/01/