nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Lorelei Grape

  • From: "del stubbs" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Lorelei Grape
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 13:07:25 +0000

Thanks Dean
One of my first thoughts on tasting this grape was that - if I could offer it locally - it could actually get die-hard eaters of bland supermarket seedless grapes - to switch.
Del

Del Stubbs http://www.pinewoodforge.com ag zone2/3

&gt;From: &quot;Dean Kreutzer&quot; &lt;deankreutzer@hotmail.com&gt;
&gt;Reply-To: North American Fruit Explorers &lt;nafex@lists.ibiblio.org&gt;
&gt;To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
&gt;Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Lorelei Grape
&gt;Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 13:28:57 -0600
&gt;
&gt;Hi Del,
&gt;
&gt;I agree, Lorelei (ES 5-4-29) is a wonderful tasting grape. Elmer
&gt;Swenson crossed ES 2-4-13 x ES 2-5-5 to get this grape and many
&gt;other high quality grapes such as Summersweet, ES 5-4-16, and ES
&gt;5-3-89. Lorelei may be a challenge for it to survive zone 2 or 3,
&gt;as I have it as a zone 4 grape, but well worth the effort. Also,
&gt;from my records it does need a pollinator; I'm not sure if it is a
&gt;female grape or if the stamens are reflexed, like ES 5-3-89. As you
&gt;know, it is a white grape, with medium clusters and berries,
&gt;ripening in Early/Mid-Sept in Central Minnesota. When I have tasted
&gt;the fruit, the flavor is superior in the berries that are left to
&gt;ripen a little while longer, getting a slight bronze color tone to
&gt;them. I have been told that wine created from Lorelei is very
&gt;strange, and not suitable.
&gt;
&gt;That's all the info I have.
&gt;
&gt;Good luck!
&gt;
&gt;Dean Kreutzer
&gt;Regina, Saskatchewan Canada
&gt;USDA zone 3
&gt;
&gt;_________________________________________________________________
&gt;MSN Premium with Virus Guard and Firewall* from McAfee® Security : 2
&gt;months FREE*
&gt;http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-ca&amp;page=byoa/prem&amp;xAPID=1994&amp;DI=1034&amp;SU=http://hotmail.com/enca&amp;HL=Market_MSNIS_Taglines
&gt;
&gt;_______________________________________________
&gt;
&gt;**YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**
&gt;All other messages are discarded.
&gt;No exceptions. ----
&gt;To subscribe or unsubscribe, go to the bottom of this page (also can
&gt;be used to change other email options):
&gt;
&gt;File attachments are NOT stripped by this list
&gt;TAKE STEPS TO PROTECT YOURSELF FROM COMPUTER VIRUSES!
&gt;Please do not send binary files.
&gt;Use plain text ONLY in emails!
&gt;
&gt;Message archives are here: