nafex - [NAFEX] grafting results

  • From: "tanis cuff" <tanistanis@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] grafting results
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 21:34:00 +0000

Please excuse my delay in joining the May 18 discussion of expectations of grafting results ("Grafting Question" in archives). But I hadn't even finished mine yet.

I did a few apple & pear. Cut own scion, and purchased some. My own was harvested on the first day over 32F of a winter warm spell. I worried about the purchased scion being harvested too late, or getting warm in shipping, or otherwise breaking dormancy. All scion held well til grafting. Stored in a little-used home refrig; the only fruit stored with it was cartons of orange juice. (Re previous discussions on this topic, I understand ROTTING fruits & vegetables can break dormancy of stored scionwood. Many home refrigs contain rotting vegetation.)

Rootstocks are various 3/4 standards, planted early '03 or before. Rain/irrigation has been generous. All pear and apple scion varieties showed swollen buds w/in 2 weeks, but a few took 17 days to convince me.

The pears have grown so fast the tissue is pale and very tender. I didn't expect any growth. Using the method I described in "grafting basics" (March 21 archives), I had trouble making clean cuts on the purchased scions, which were very healthy, thick, and tough. I thought the faces of scion-- and the rootstock cuts!-- would be too rough to have good cambial match, and that the wood was too stout to pull together with the rubber electricians splicing tape. But 90% of these grafts have grown. (FYI, most of these grafts were technically "topwork" rather than grafts onto young rootstocks.)

Most of the purchased apple scion likewise was thicker than I like, but mostly grafted onto young 'stocks. Thick scion has grown slower than thin, but 100% have grown. Main concern is brown toasting of leaf edges on faster-growing scions. I'm assuming scab, but haven't carefully studied. I'll report on it later in summer; also will tell how many scions were running on fumes.

Sometime ago there was discussion of how much time a graft procedure requires. I managed 12 per hour for thin scions, half that for thick scions.

To scion suppliers: if this is a testimonial, please feel free to use it! If you want me to post your name, please let me know. Thanks again!

tc, s.WI, hobby orchards in poor soil

From ‘will you?’ to ‘I do,’ MSN Life Events is your resource for Getting
Married. http://lifeevents.msn.com/category.aspx?cid=married

  • [NAFEX] grafting results, tanis cuff, 06/21/2004