nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Grafting styles

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Grafting styles
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 17:56:54 EDT

In a message dated 6/17/2004 7:41:58 PM US Eastern Standard Time, tanistanis@hotmail.com writes:

  I am wondering what are some of the advantages and disadvantages of dormant
wood grafting vs. bud grafting in late summer.  I am working with dwarf
trees, and want to change the entire tree over to a new variety.   Any
thoughts on whether I should graft this summer or wait until next spring?

My experience is as long as the wood is in the "spring slip", you can successfully graft.

In this area I can still graft persimmon, bark is starting to lose slip, but will go out totally shortly. My guess is further south already out, north maybe two weeks longer. My guess again is apple will be nearly the same. Topworking now, go for it.

Once had an apple with 10 varieties on it. Problem was it was on M9 and didn't have it staked, blew over!

Jerry