nafex - [NAFEX] Grafting styles

  • From: Mauch1@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Grafting styles
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 15:39:47 -0400

Dormant grafting:
Advantages:
-Larger array of scionwood from further away available.
-Some styles (bark grafting) can be done onto larger stock
than is generally advisable for budding
-Large time window
-Grafting speed not as important

Disadvantages:
- Uses more scionwood per graft
- Some fruits may be difficult or impossible to dormant graft
(i.e. peach)

Budding:
Advantages:
-Most efficient use of scionwood
-Fairly quick turnaround on whether graft was a success.
-Matching scion to stock size not as important as with
whip&tongue.
-May be only viable alternative for some fruit types
(i.e. peach)

Disadvantages:
- Generally more narrow window of opportunity (especially if
doing t-budding)
- Harder to get scionwood
- Due to smaller pieces of scion and higher temperatures,
grafting must be done quickly

Any additional comments/thoughts? Agreement/disagreement?

In top working, because you want to often take the tree back
to a base scaffold, I thing are most often dormant grafted.

<I am wondering what are some of the advantages and disadvantages of
dormant wood grafting vs. bud grafting in late summer. I am working
with dwarf trees, and want to change the entire tree over to a new
variety. Any thoughts on whether I should graft this summer or wait
until next spring?>

--
Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6