nafex - [NAFEX] Karminj de Sonnaville cracking

  • From: "Pete Tallman" <pete_tallman@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Karminj de Sonnaville cracking
  • Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 09:58:41 -0600

I had the same problem of cracking with Cox Orange Pippin (mine was on MM106), and to some extent with its offspring Karmijn de Sonnaville. I originally (probably wrongly) attributed the cracking to frost damage with our erratic weather, so I topworked Cox over to Pitmaston Pineapple a couple of Springs ago. In October 2003, the Cider Digest newsletters issues 1086, 1087, and 1088 included a thread concerning Cox Orange Pippin which caused me to change my mind on Cox. The note from Jim Cummins said an excess of Nitrogen could be the cause. I'm letting one of the suckers grow on the topworked Cox to see if I can get Cox it back now to try again, and I'm withholding fertilizer from both Cox and Karmijn to see if I can make a go of it again. Good looking crop on Karmijn so far this spring, but expect some cracking to begin soon.

I'm attaching the relevant notes from Cider Digest with permission of Dick Dunn, the administrator.

BTW - I have not seen Cider Digest mentioned much on this reflector. It is a great resource for cider makers (the fermented kind, as opposed to apple juice). I'm learning a lot just by listening in. See http//www.talisman.com/cider. There's a mountain of material available on the archives.

--Pete Tallman Colorado, Zone 5