nafex - RE: [NAFEX] netting for blueberry protection

  • From: "Erdman, Jim" <ErdmanJ@uwstout.edu>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] netting for blueberry protection
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 07:37:59 -0500

I use regular 1" mesh chicken wire. I have a 6 ft tall by 5 or 6 ft wide
permanent cage built around my blueberries, with an old screen door for
access. Without year around caging, the rabbits and deer eat the blueberries
down to the snow in the winter and the birds eat the berries as they ripen.
I haven't had any problem with birds or other critters getting caught in the
wire.

Jim, in Menomonie, WI