nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Honey Berry coming in

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Honey Berry coming in
  • Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 00:20:03 EDT

In a message dated 5/18/2004 9:56:37 AM US Eastern Standard Time, Mauch1@aol.com writes:

I wonder why this fruit [Honeyberry] has never caught on more.

I've had honeyberrys now for about 5 years here in mid Indiana. These came from Raintree Nursery and originated from Russia where we saw them in a research station, but no fruit in August.

Lon's assessment is correct, not particularly sweet, but a flavor agreeable with my taste buds. They are shallow rooted and because I haven't properly watered them lost two of three. Moles loosening the soil thus loosing moisture didn't help. As a commercial crop they would do better where spring temperatures more steadily rise as late frosts can limit the crop and eliminate it entirely.  They do flower very early.  I believe they could be utilized as an early fruit same as strawberries in farmers markets.

One Green World and Hidden Springs Nursery both carry them and their varieties  orginate from Russia where they have worked with them many years. Am glad to see someone in the US is also breeding them.

Jerry