nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Honey Berry coming in

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Honey Berry coming in
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 08:06:12 -0700

Title: Re: [NAFEX] Honey Berry coming in
Mostly because the existing varieties don't set much fruit in much of the U.S.  They bloom extremely early, and while the blossoms are frost resistant, they are usually so early there are no insects out to pollinate them.
   There is a breeder in the U.S. working to improve them and some of the selections are looking much more productive.  I'm not at liberty to say much about the work just yet as I don't know how much the breeder is ready to reveal.
   I'm not fond of the fruit being called "honeyberry" as it gives a false impression of the fruit, which is not particularly sweet.  Edible Honeysuckle is a more honest name.
-Lon Rombough

Ate my first honey berry (Lonicera caerulea [formerly known as edulis]) of the season today.  Wasn't bad.  I wonder why this fruit has never caught on more.