nafex - [NAFEX] rooting grapes

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] rooting grapes
  • Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 23:48:40 -0400

Every spring, when I prune my grapes, I take a handful of prunings and put them in a couple of vases over the kitchen sink. They sprout a little before the outdoor vine, and provide some cheer in the kitchen. They usually root, too, although I've never planted them. (I have given them away, but haven't followed up to see how they've done.)

This year the vases are translucent, and I noticed that one stem has half a dozen roots coming from one line along the stem - there is one long crack in the "bark" from which they all emerge. The other stems haven't set roots at all yet. It led me to wonder about what factors lead to root formation. I know this isn't an important practical question, as grapes are easy to root - even just in a vase, but more so if you are more careful. But I wondered if maybe the one had been a little crushed or something, and the roots emerged from the area of a healing wound. I know maceration of the stems helps in rooting some trees. Any one know?

Thanks,
Ginda