nafex - [NAFEX] currant seedlings

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] currant seedlings
  • Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 23:39:40 -0400

Wow - this spring I am finding red currant seedlings everywhere. The birds didn't get many last year, so these must be from the prior year, when the birds took my entire crop. I had a strawberry pot - the strawberries all died over the cold winter (not the ones in the ground, but the ones in the pot) No strawberries, but a couple of tiny currant plants. In the garden, under the oak trees, pretty much anywhere there is a little open soil.

Most will succumb to the lawn mower, I suppose, but I'm moving a few into the edge of the woods. Who knows, maybe they will grow. So I guess I am conducting a mini-experiment in breeding for shade-bearing red currants. :)

Ginda