nafex - Re: [NAFEX] blueberries and deer?

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] blueberries and deer?
  • Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 20:37:35 -0400

i have light deer pressure, which means I have deer, and I always find some deer damage, but they rarely eat much. (Of course, they selectively go for my apples and grapes. . .) I also have blueberry bushes, both domestic ones and wild ones. I have never noticed any deer damage on them.

Two pests I HAVE noticed are rabbits and birds. If the blueberries aren't fenced, rabbits will eat every fruiting bud within reach. For whatever reason, they don't eat the vegetative buds. Once the berries begin to ripen the critical pest is birds, who will denude the bushes. I haven't found netting to be very effective - if it is tightly attached to the ground, it works as a snare, and I fish dead chipmunks and junkos out of it. If it is not tightly attached to the ground, the bids find their way in. A prowling cat has helped a lot, though.

Ginda