nafex - [NAFEX] Re:hawthorn snack from Japan (hector black)

  • From: "Hal Love" <lovehd@comcast.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Re:hawthorn snack from Japan (hector black)
  • Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 13:29:24 -0500

> We've also tasted those hawthorne snacks and enjoyed them. I think they
must be made from the Chinese hawthorne as we have several that have fruited
a bit and the jam made from them is quite tasty and similar to the snack.
> Hector Black zone 6 middle TN
> PS But so far, most of these Chinese trees have been quite
susceptible to quince rust which deforms a lot of the fruit and forms galls
on the branches.

Hector, thanks for the info on the Chinese hawthorn. I live near Nashville
and was considering planting some hawthorn this fall, so I suspect I would
have similar disease issues to consider. Have you had rust problems (or
other problems) with your Mayhaws?

Hal
zone 6 TN