nafex - Re: [NAFEX] pear phytotoxicity question

  • From: "Doreen Howard" <gardendiva@charter.net>
  • To: <herenorthere@lycos.com>, "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] pear phytotoxicity question
  • Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 14:53:08 -0500

Bruce,
It's the neem that caused the foliage burn and death. It is phototoxic when
sprayed during the day when the sun is at it's most intense. The best time
to spray neem is early mornings before 9 a.m. and after 6 p.m. I'm
surprised that there was not a caveat on the product label. I buy neem seed
oil in the pure form. It's Green Light brand and labeled 'Fruit, Nut and
Vegetable Spray.' And there is cautionary language on the label about
spraying during the day and when to spray to avoid killing beneficial
insects.
Doreen Howard