nafex - [NAFEX] Re: apple bag sizes

  • From: Nathan Torgerson <nathantorgerson@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Re: apple bag sizes
  • Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 21:22:15 -0700 (PDT)

I used bags that were 6 3/4" x 8" last year. This size worked pretty well, maybe a little big but not bad.  They looked really funny in June when the apples are only the size of a quarter with all of these huge bags hanging in the tree. I think some of my neighbors still question my sanity, having no idea why there would be plastic bags on a tree.
    Using twist ties wastes and inch or so in length compared to having a draw string. Last year I repositioned the bags a little a couple times because on some apples it looked like the apples were sticking to the plastic bag as it grew and stretch the bag a little (not nearly enough to break it.)

Nate

Tom Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net> wrote:
Hello,

Anyone willing to buy and reship to interested people?

Based on the average apple size, what sized bag would you need?  I do not think that a 3" bag will accomodate a full size, average apple, but will the poly bag stretch?

A triploid would require an even larger poly bag.

Advice?

The drawstring bag appears perfect.

Later,
Tom

"Volkening, Tom" wrote:

 Sorry,I got interupted and sent the message out without the URL for the web site.I found a web site where they sell clear plastic drawstring bags by the case(1000).  The smallest size I saw was 3"x5".  I don't know anything about the company other than it came up when I did a Google search for plastic drawstring bags. http://www.saket.com/index.php/cPath/339 Tom Volkening
Engineering Librarian
Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI 48824
Phone:  517-432-1498
Fax:      517-353-9041
Email:    volkenin@msu.edu
              volkenin@egr.msu.edu
-----

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Photos: High-quality 4x6 digital prints for 25ยข