nafex - [NAFEX] using old scionwood

  • From: "Mark Lee" <markl@nytec.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] using old scionwood
  • Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 08:15:43 -0700

Last year was a crazy year for me.  I had a big remodel done on my house.  Everything my family owned was either sent off to storage or packed into a few small rooms untouched by the remodel.  I had a bundle of pear scionwood arrive last Spring that went unused.  These were stored for a time in the frig, but then I lost track of them in the construction mess.  Somehow they ended up in my shed.  I found them yesterday while cleaning-up.  Some of the sticks were shriveled up, and most of the buds look lifeless, but when I cut into some of the wood, I found green and healthy looking layers.

My question is would there be any point in trying to propagate this scionwood if the buds are dead?  It will be at least another year before I can get some of these varieties again, but without buds on the scions I don’t think I will get a head start on just waiting for new wood next year.  Any thoughts?

-Mark Lee

Seattle, zone 7B/8A