nafex - [NAFEX] Mice/Vole damage

  • From: "Dean Kreutzer" <deankreutzer@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Mice/Vole damage
  • Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2004 08:24:57 -0600

Hello all,

Sorry to hear about your mice damage Del; I definately understand your frustration. One ray of hope though, in my experience Evans cherry suckers quite readily so the plants may not be dead.

One note. Last year I had to protect my trees because of the grasshopper infestation and I used regular milk cartons and also a milk carton with a silver foil coating (from monarch manufactoring). Of my cherries, 15 were destroyed from mice when they ate through the milk cartons, no mice got into the foil coated ones. I'm definately not using regular milk cartons anymore.

You are correct, it is easy to protect central leader type trees with wrap, but what about bush type plants? (Saskatoons, currants, etc.) I think pruning is crucial ensure that these bushes are indeed that, bushes. Not 3 or 4 main trunks, but 20, 30, 40 minor ones. What is a couple branches girdled when you have many more? The ag rep here recommends when planting saskatoons in the fall to prune them to the ground after going dormant. In the spring, they sucker out quite nicely and studies here prove that they are much more productive. 2 winters ago, I had major damage to some cherries by rabbits, right down to the ground. Last spring they came out like gangbusters and I expect them to surpass their neighbors by next year; and be more productive. We'll see how the 15 that were eaten this winter will respond in the spring.

Dean
Regina, Saskatchewan
USDA zone 3

MSN Premium with Virus Guard and Firewall* from McAfee® Security : 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-ca&page=byoa/prem&xAPID=1994&DI=1034&SU=http://hotmail.com/enca&HL=Market_MSNIS_Taglines

  • [NAFEX] Mice/Vole damage, Dean Kreutzer, 04/08/2004