nafex - Re: [NAFEX] propagating prunus

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] propagating prunus
  • Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2004 08:50:15 -0500

At 01:40 PM 4/8/2004 +0000, Del wrote:
I saved a large handfull of dormant prunings from the tops of all the Evans cherries the voles got, is there a way with some type of rooting hormone to propagate these 12" sticks??
Del,
I haven't tried rooting Evans cuttings, but in one of the earlier discussions on the Evans, Bernie Nikolai indicated that it was pretty easy to propagate from root cuttings. Mine regularly throws up a dozen or so suckers every year for 5-10 feet out away from the original trunk, so with this vole damage, I'll bet yours will be suckering like crazy this year.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY