nafex - [NAFEX] Using two year wood as scion wood.

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: sherwindu@comcast.net, nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Using two year wood as scion wood.
  • Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 23:57:45 EST

I posed the problem of finding first year growth scion that was big enough to graft.  Among my 14 trees of mostly apple and nplum, peach, apricot, and cherry, I almost never find any first year growth of reasonable size.  Therefore, what is the tradeoff between going to older wood to get the thicker scion?  I have been told by some that
the buds in second and third year growth are not very active and that the bark is thicker making line-up of the cambium layer more difficult for  whip and tongue.  If that is true, maybe I'm stuck with the thin scions.

                  Sherwin

Hi Sherwin,

Yes, I have grafted two year persimmon wood with good success. Make sure there is a good bud. Because it is a secondary bud (two year wood), which is in reserve in case the tip is injured, it will take longer to break out. Don't know that I've ever used three year old wood. Yes, bark thickness between three year wood and one year wood could cause a problem. Also any buds on three year wood might be dead. I'd say it would work if the second and last year growth is still on it. That would be a long scion piece, but I've grafted some long material. Wrap with Parafilm M to lock in moisture while the secondary bud figures out it has to start growing.

A few times just for experiment I've grafted wood w/o buds and had them take, but greatly reduced percentage. They also take a very long time for an adventitious bud to develop and break out.

I've done this with persimmon only, and may not work with hard woods such as walnut & pecan. I suspect Malus and Prunus would work and Pyrus also.

Jerry Lehman