nafex - [NAFEX] after-care for grafted trees

  • From: Lisa Almarode <lisaalmarode@yahoo.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] after-care for grafted trees
  • Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 20:01:03 -0800 (PST)

I know the newly bench grafted trees (apple/pear)
should not get too hot, but what's the ideal
aftercare? Keep in the house (67°-70°) - for how
long, a couple of weeks? or put outside (right now
35°-70°)? Potted (in a sheltered place) or in its
final location in the ground?

The whip-and-tongue was quite hard - the second tongue
cut gave me the most trouble. After several tries I
ended up doing a cleft-graft on a couple of them,
that was a lot easier to get good matches. I think
my rootstocks are a little hefty; and so are the
scions which is my own fault, since I picked them out
myself.

And thanks to those to pointed out that I cut towards
myself. I had watched a few grafts done, but until
you try it yourself, you don't know what you need to
pay attention to.

Lisa in Ashland Oregon
USDA Zone 7 - Sunset Zone 7 - 1800'