nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Budgovski 118 rootstocks this spring

  • From: "loneroc" <loneroc@mwt.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Budgovski 118 rootstocks this spring
  • Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 05:22:25 -0600

Here's another use for B118 that might encourage others to get in on the
deal. (It's taken from an old posting I put on line.) Unfortunately
Charlie, I gots what I needs already. I've no room for more B118s.
*****
I have grown Bud 118-bud 9 interstems for about 7 years. Several trees on
nearly pure, somewhat alkaline sand are doing very well. They do not appear
to show water stress. The fruit on the interstems is perhaps, just a bit
smaller than trees on plain Bud 9's. The Bud-9's are on good soil, however,
so the comparison is not necessarily "apples to apples".

I recently put in a few Honeycrisps on straight 118. They seems a bit slow
to establish the first year, but took off the second, putting on 2-3 feet of
new growth.

An interesting observation on 118 is that it is a rosybloom type. It has
beautiful deep pink blooms and appears to be fairly scab resistant. The
apples are in the apple/crab range for size, ripen here in August, and are
sweet with fairly high tannin levels. Unlike most hardy crabs that have
tannins, 118 tastes like it is relatively low in acid levels. I plan to
fruit 118's to try as a source of tannin for hard ciders--something that is
thus far almost non-existent in zone 3 hardy apples.

Good luck with your plantings. I think that 118 will prove very useful for
folks who don't need much dwarfing.

Steve Herje, Lone Lock, WI USDA zone 3