nafex - Re: [NAFEX] scions/ethylene gas?

  • From: Charles Paradise <machelp@attglobal.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] scions/ethylene gas?
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 11:50:34 -0500

Tom:
University extension bulletins are issued for comedic purposes only.
When you joined NAFEX we apparantly forgot in our orientation to
tell you not to take them seriously.
Rephrased, this is what the university bulletin meant to say:
"Your fridge no doubt has a few apples or a bag of carrots.
Since fruit and even vegetables release ethylene gas, which can
kill the buds on the scions, just wrap the scions in plastic before
placing them in the fridge.  That will protect them from the gas."
compare this to what the university wrote:
"Never store scions in refrigerated units where fruits or
vegetables are currently kept or have been stored recently.
Stored fruits and vegetables release ethylene gas, which can
cause woody plant buds to abort, making the scions useless."
Like Gordon Nofs said, all of us NAFEXers use the home fridge to store our scions, we just wrap them in plastic before putting them in the fridge.  We should have told you this.
Charlie Paradise
zone 5 / Massachusetts

Gordon Nofs wrote:

Tom

    You are right. But I have stored scions properly incased in the right plastic bags for 18 years. along with as I have now apple in the same drawer in the fridge and have never been affected by it even though I knew it was true.

Gordon C. Nofs

Flint, MI.

From: Tom Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>

Did some quick research on storage...

According toNorth Caroline Cooperative Extension service:

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/grafting.html

"Never store scions in refrigerated units where fruits or
vegetables are currently kept or have been stored recently.
Stored fruits and vegetables release ethylene gas, which can
cause woody plant buds to abort, making the scions useless."

Later,
Tom