nafex - RE: [NAFEX] soil solarizaton

  • From: "del stubbs" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] soil solarizaton
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 12:47:20 +0000

I thought I'd enlighten myself on what a Fresnel lens is - and what it could have to do with agriculture. Well, here is the first url that came up, but I am still in the dark, thanks!,
http://lighthousegetaway.com/lights/fresnel.html
In my experience, I have found common green plastic tarps to pass enough light to keep sod growing, and black plastic to take considerably longer than clear to kill quack grass. Del

&gt;Good idea about the fresnel lens. I know that people use propane
&gt;torches (eg Red Dragon) to control weeds without herbicides. I can see
&gt;the fresnel lens accomplishing the same with free solar energy. As a
&gt;kid, I used to melt lead with my giant lens. To anyone going to
&gt;experiment with this... use the same caution you would with weed torches
&gt;and wear extra dark glasses.
&gt;-Mark Lee, Seattle