nafex - [NAFEX] Re: Spring Freezes, Cold Hardy Kiwi, Kolomitka yields

  • From: "Hal Love" <lovehd@comcast.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Re: Spring Freezes, Cold Hardy Kiwi, Kolomitka yields
  • Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 09:30:28 -0600

I realized very quickly that A. kolomikta does not have a chance against our
extended springs here in the mid-south. However, they are very easy to grow
in containers, and can even be pruned as a self-supporting small shrub, or
even a bonsai. Mine break bud after the first few warm days in early March,
which is several weeks before our last frost. I just move the pots into the
basement on frosty nights. Besides frost problems, they also bloom well
before pollinating insects are out, so I usually end up hand-pollinating
them with frozen A. deliciosa pollen. Why bother? The fruits are wonderful!
To me, they do not taste identical to the fuzzy kiwifruit, but are much
better, sweeter, with pineapple-mint-strawberry flavors. The biggest problem
is I can't get enough of them!

Hal
zone 6b, TN

> As for kiwi, we planted kolomitkas and argutas about 10 years ago, the
> kolomitkas in more shade here in Zone 6. The buds or blooms freeze
> routinely on the former, but the Argutas give a crop most years, and
'Anna'
> is reliable for reblooming and cropping after freezes which wipe out our
> other argutas. We've yet to produce a single kolomitka fruit, I think due
> to fluctuating spring temps.
>
> As Doc noted for figs, once the argutas are established, can handle cold
> pretty well.
>
> Anyone ever had a bumper crop of kolomitkas? What's the yield potential
> under ideal circumstances?
> Many years, our major problem with our single Anna vine is what to do with
> all the fruit.
> Any voices of experience on kolomitka production?
>
> Richard Moyer
> Zone 6, East Tenn

  • [NAFEX] Re: Spring Freezes, Cold Hardy Kiwi, Kolomitka yields, Hal Love, 03/23/2004