nafex - RE: [NAFEX] wax, and grafting.

  • From: "Gordon Nofs" <gc_nofs@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] wax, and grafting.
  • Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 12:06:08 -0500

Mark

I usually do green wood grafts later in season. They usually will go dorment before the freeze.

Did I not send you the information on it? If not e-mail me: gc_nofs@hotmail.com and I will send attachments.

Gordon C. Nofs
Flint, MI.

From: "Mark Lee"
To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'"
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 08:47:01 -0800

Gordon,

Thanks for discussing your experience with grafting late in the season.
I was wondering what would happen when dormant scionwood is grafted onto
a tree that is approaching dormancy. Did you observe any growth in the
scionwood before the tree went dormant? What month was this?

I haven't had any formal training in the science of grafting. Can
somebody who has explain the science behind grafting late in the season.
I am assuming that dormant scionwood has stored some plant hormone (or
absence of some) that causes the graft to heal and the scionwood to grow
even when the rootstock has long since broken dormancy and is
essentially done growing for the season.

-Mark Lee, Seattle