nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Cleft graft vs bark.

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Cleft graft vs bark.
  • Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 11:07:28 -0600

At 11:57 AM 3/17/2004 -0500, you wrote:
> Does anyone still make cleft grafting tools?
> If not what do most people use now?

The cleft graft is another old method that does work, but bark grafting is better and easier.
I agree.  I do bark grafts on most all species, including oaks, pecans/hickories, persimmons.
However, at least in my limited experience, mulberries have worked better as cleft grafts than any other method I've tried on 'em.  Additionally, I've been unable to get reasonable 'bark slip' on hawthorn seedlings, and have HAD to use cleft grafts to work mayhaw scions on the the native C.crus-galli seedlings I use as understock for those.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY